The Garden of the Great Spirit
Indian legend has it, that when the Gods of Peace and Tranquility were preparing to make a place where all life would be peaceful and perfect, they dropped a few rocks that landed in a river. These rocks landed in what we now know as the St. Lawrence River and they created the beautiful and peaceful "Thousand Islands".
This is a special place with an extrordinarily positive healing energy where you can enjoy a journey of iminagination, inspiration and renewal while you relax, unwind and recharge your batteries.
Did you know ...
- The St. Lawrence River was discovered in 1535 by Jacques Cartier.
- There are actually 1,864 islands extending along an approximate 80-mile stretch in the St. Lawrence River between New York State and Ontario, Canada from Lake Ontario with Cornwall, Ontario as the easternmost town on the Canadian side and Massena, New York the easternmost town in New York. The highest concentration of islands are clustered near the 1000 Islands Bridge between Alexandria Bay, New York and Ivy Lea, Ontario.
- An island is any mass above water 365 days a year that supports at least one tree.
- Tom Thumb is the smallest of the 1000 Islands and Wolfe Island is the largest
- The St. Lawrence Seaway is the world's longest, unfortified and friendliest border. There has been peace between the US and Canada since the signing of the Treaty of Ghent in 1815 ending the War of 1812.
- Price is Right Island was given away in 1964 by Bill Cullen on the "Price is Right" television game show.
- The 1000 Islands boasts the shortest international foot bridge in the world, on Zavicon Island between the United States and Canada, and the shortest vehicular bridge, the International Rift, one of the five spans of the 1000 Islands International Bridge.
Area Sports and Activities
Smuggler’s Glen Golf Course
GreeneAcre Golf Club
Gananoque Golf and Country Club
Brockville Country Club
Skywood Eco Adventure
Frontenac Arch Biosphere
Hiking Landon Bay
1000 Island Tower
Pecks Marina (boat and kayak rentals)
The Landing at Ivy Lea
Village Quay Marina
Donnelly’s On The River
Rapid Valley Restaurant
The Ivy Lea Club